With all the current events regarding #StopAsianHate going on, I figured it was my duty to post about it and support the movement. In this podcast episode, I do a recap on the rise in violence targeting the Asian-American Pacific-Islander (AAPI) community based on what I found out about it, my thoughts, and the different stories and opinions the movement as unearthed. A lot of it is stuff you may already be familiar with. But you may find a little something unique about it through my episode, such as a couple stories of my own experiences with racism.
Ultimately, I come from it from a place of positivity, love, and action, which is a little different from the hate and anger that others may express. I understand that side of it, but my emphasis is on showing appreciation and respect for the majority of people who stand with Asians and have always treated me with respect on an equal footing and kindness. I also focus on making sure we educate others and the younger generation since I think that’s part of the problem. It seems a lack of awareness may or may not have some impact since some aren’t thinking things through, which can lead to racism, even from other ethnic groups.
Ultimately, all humans want the same things: happiness, to be treated equally, to have the same civil rights, to be treated with respect and dignity, and to not have to deal with unnecessary brutal violence.
Like this show? Please leave a rating here — even one helps!
- My previous article on Asian Xenophobia published July 2020
- $1 Million Raised After Attack on Asian Woman Will Go to Fight Racism, Family Says
- Resources to learn more:
You can donate to organizations such as:
- “Minor Feelings: An Asian American Reckoning” is a collection of essays published in 2020 about the nuances of the Asian American experience.
- “Yellow: Race in America Beyond Black and White” examines stereotypes, such as the perpetual foreigner and the model minority myth, and tackles issues including affirmative action, immigration and interracial marriage.
- Self Evident: Asian American’s Stories is a podcast that aims to challenge assumptions about Asian Americans.
- PBS’ Asian Americans is a five-part documentary series on the history of Asians in America.
- #AsianAmCovidStories is a YouTube documentary series exploring Asian Americans’ experiences and challenges during the Covid-19 pandemic.